Sunday, January 3, 2016

Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with a TWIST

So my family thinks I am crazy for taking the time to 'flower' our radishes but I totally think they taste BETTER when they are sliced like this ... I enjoy them sliced thing in a salad, sliced thin and sauteed with garlic and spices and I enjoy them floral inspired like this but I totally get wigged out trying to bite into a fully intact radish! 

So with trying to reduce my legume intake for a while to heal my gut after years of Celiac abuse I went searching for an option for my beloved hummus that was 'legume free' and found this tasty version from Meatafied  so thought I would give it a whirl with a bit of an Epicure Twist! 

Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
 
 
What You Need
  • 1 cup soaked, rinsed and drained organic raw cashews 
  • ¼ cup tahini 
  • 1 - 2 cloves garlic
  • Juice of 1 lemon 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin or I used a tablespoon Epicure Garlic hummus blend
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
  • ¼ cup coconut milk 
  • 8 oz roasted red peppers, roughly chopped. Make sure to drain well if from a jar.
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika 
What You Do
  • Pre-soak your cashews over night, rinse and drain.
  • Add the cashews, tahini and garlic cloves to your mini food processer or blender and process until the mixture is a thick paste.
  • Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and cumin and process to combine.
  • Add the coconut milk, roasted red peppers and smoked paprika. Process one final time until the peppers are the consistency you like.
To garnish:
  • Spoon the hummus into a bowl. Sprinkle extra with smoked paprika and some extra fine chopped roasted red pepper to finish.
My first time recipe review
While it is not an exact mimic of 'traditional hummus' I actually did not mind this at all the texture if very close ~ and I found the 'leftovers' much taster the next day so think the key might be to make it ahead and let it sit for a day before serving so that the spices can get absorbed into the mix and hide the bit of 'cashew' flavor that I found it had the first day! 

Have an amazing day!

Margaret
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Be Totallyawake4-life 

No comments:

Post a Comment