We are celebrating a little mans 3rd birthday today - and he requested 'goat cheese pop tarts' is what he calls them but in reality they are a version of grain free stuffed crescent rolls that we adapted to meet his dietary needs!
We love these because they are awesome warm out of the oven in the winter months but also just as tasty cold for picnic lunches!
Grain Free Crescent Rolls
What You Need: Adapted from here
- 2 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 packet Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 1 Large Organic Egg Yolk
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Dairy Free Butter Alternative
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 2 cups of Soy flour - plus some extra for rolling
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 generous cup of Coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
What You Do:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax seed and yeast.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, applesauce, egg whites and extracts. Dump the flax seed/yeast mix on top and quickly whisk together.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of soy flour, the coconut palm sugar , baking powder and salt. Dump the dry over the wet and fold together with a rubber spatula.
- Shape the sticky dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm area for 1 hour + 20 minute.
- Measure out your coconut flour. Take about 2 tablespoons out and dust it over the slightly risen dough. Gently fold the mixture until it absorbs the coconut flour, then dust another 2 tablespoon over the dough and fold in again Continue to do this until all the coconut flour is mixed into the dough. Then knead the dough into a ball.
- Using a cutting board or other smooth flat work surface (this is an awesome option) dust with about 2 tablespoons of of soy flour, place the dough on top, then dust again with same amount of soy flour. Roll the dough into a rectangle, then use a pizza cutter to slice the rectangle into 12 tall triangles.
- Line a large cookie sheets parchment paper and set aside.
- Create the crescents by rolling the dough triangle, starting from the widest end and rolling to the triangle point.
- Cover the cookie sheet with plastic wrap and place in a warm area for 1 hour
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and almond milk.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush the crescents with the egg wash and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let crescents cool on the pan. Serve warm!
Bakers Addiitonal Notes:
For a savory version: Stuff with heaping teaspoon of Chevre goat cheese and a raspberry jam and roll up and apply the egg wash as normal.
For a Kids will Love you forever: Stuff with a couple slices of pepperoni and shredded cheese and roll up. Sprinkle some pizza seasoning on top of the egg wash. Serve with a side of marinara sauce
For the Chocolate Lover: Add 2 teaspoon of Enjoy Life chocolate chips to each crescent as you roll them up. Apple the Egg Wash and than sprinkle some chocolate topper onto them.
For an Apple Pie Version: Dice a Granny Smith apple and marinate in 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 3 tablespoons coconut sugar and 2 teaspoons Apple Pie spice. When the apples are soft, add a spoonful to each crescent as you roll them up. Apple the Egg Wash and sprinkle with a wee bit more Apple pie spice!
Have an amazing day!
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much